Skip to main content

Faetaera: In The Garden

 



“You do know Lac Taal is completely infatuated with you?”  Elumin looked over at Aurelia as they walked towards their private gardens.

“Of course I do.  It makes him work harder to please me.  Why do you think I addressed him directly?”

Elumin trailed his finger along Aurelia’s arm before linking his fingers with hers.  “It was your cruelty which first attracted me to you, you know.”

As Aurelia tilted her head and looked up at him she was careful not to change the expression on her face.  Her heart ached because he thought her cruel.

Elumin chuckled as they entered their private scented glade.  He flicked out a spell to shield them.  A sigh of relief escaped Aurelia as she relaxed her hold on the control she had been grasping to so firmly.

Now, where ever her feet touched the ground, little tendrils of ground cover coiled verdantly as star-like flowers opened with the sound of bubbles popping.  The air was filled with the scent of restraint released.

The couple stopped at the lake where a picnic was set out for them.  They settled themselves and leaned into each other as they began to eat, sometimes feeding each other absent-mindedly.  Neither one spoke.  They savoured the tastes and textures of the meal.

Aurelia’s thoughts began to drift and she wondered if they had all been taking the Days of Splendour for granted.  She’d wanted so much for them to forget the Then – live in the Now.  She wanted such brilliance for her people.

When her populace was reduced to dust in one flick of a hand, the rebuilding took a great deal of time and energy. She’d held the sparkling particles in the palm of her hand and refused to let them drift apart.  Her father’s final Weave shielded her, kept her safe and her duty to save them all was weft into the fabric of being.  And she had saved them.  At least she thought she had.

Funereal lilies began to sprout around the picnic area and their sorrowful scent permeated the air.  Blood red poppies, oozing rust coloured liquid from their hearts, clustered where any part of her body touched the ground.  Aurelia felt as though she were choking on the heavy odours.  How she wanted it all to stop.

“Aurelia, come back to me my love.”  Elumin blew a steady stream of orange zest perfumed breath at her.

Aurelia blinked and breathed deeply.  She looked into his eyes and felt her love for him like a tsunami off the coast of Irenea.   “I’m here.  I’m back.”  Her smile made the lilies and poppies disappear and a profusion of sunflowers burst towards the heavens.


Comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. It's much appreciated as is the time you take to write a comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Faetaera: Through The Rabbit Hole

  Larell’s heart was full to the brim.  His audience with Aurelia had been unexpected and full of wonder.  He was not surprised she was aware of his plans to send a force through to the other side.  Aurelia always knew everything going on in her world.  At times he thought he saw the weight of it bearing down upon her.  Then he wished to take her in his arms and carry her as well as the burdens she bore.  But of course he would never do this, merely imagine it.  It made him love her all the more.  She thought he did not know how she came by her information and he planned on keeping it that way.  It was the only way he knew to express his love for her without feeling foolish.   In the crystal lined chamber he felt her load more palpably than usual.   He knew it was simply his foolish love-sickness for his Queen but he let the feeling soak through him regardless.   Aurelia's lips twitched briefly as though she was amused.   She was kind in her tolerance of his ridiculous obsess

Faetaera: A Triumvirate

  A Triumvirate Brairton’s minions slipped through a barely noticeable fissure.  The tear would close shortly.  Despite the increase in their regularity the breaches rarely stayed open very long.  To the three insidious spies, the stink of the new world was almost unbearable.  But in time the triumvirate would each become so used to it they would scarcely notice it at all.  That it poisoned them they did not know.  Brairton was not in the habit of informing his operatives of fatal consequences.  Their programming precluded any thought beyond the mission they must complete.  In this Brairton had been exact and had performed the necessary rituals himself. Each had their mission branded into their being.   They would travel together for some time but then slip off to their secret destinations one by one, never to see each other again. The threesome latched on to their individual targets and began their particular brand of individual mischief immediately. Minion one skulked off to en

Aphasia - Phase 1

It was one morning of May 2021. I woke up and I couldn’t speak. I didn’t know I had a stroke. I carried on as though I was okay. I even tried to negotiate with my guest when she was leaving. I tried to talk but only mumbles came out of my mouth. She left me with a big hug. I knew something was wrong. I tried to call my cousin, Michelle. With a few grunts, I convinced her to come round to my place. In the end she came round and she was very worried. She stayed with and we had lunch together. After she left, I called my friend in Sheffield, Bev. I tried to say what was wrong with me. I couldn’t speak. She rang my neighbour, Kathy. Kathy was out with Nelson, her fabulous dog. Bev rang her so she came round. When she came to my house I was sitting in the dark. Bev said she should call an ambulance. I took the phone from her and shook my head. Before long my neighbours Lizz and Leo came to see how I was. Kathy told Leo to ring the ambulance because I took her phone. She did not know w