Skip to main content

Uncertainty

I’ve been sat on the edge of the bath for a good half hour now. My bum’s gone a bit numb. I think it’s slowing becoming grafted to the bath. The triangle of sunbeams has shifted its angle of glow from the basin to the space between the door and the towel cabinet.  At some point my brain will accept the information it’s been given. But right now I feel the need to mentally catalogue every inch of my bathroom – to see the good, the bad and the ugly of my hotchpotch bathroom. In it I see the story of my unsatisfactory life; the half formed relationships I lose interest in all too quickly (the shelf I started sanding but never got round to finishing), the family I always mean to stay in touch with (the cracked tile I’m always going to replace but never do).

My whole body feels a bit numb, as if my blood supply has shifted its directional flow and is focused on just one section of my body. And why am I trapped in my bathroom?

I’m trying to add up how many times in my short existence I’ve had to make life changing decisions. In life there are times when decisions must be made.  Not because we want to make them but because we must. Because we have no real choice in the matter. So we must decide – head or heart. And the head stumbles along with its logical arguments for and against. While the heart beats out its tattoo of go go go even if the choice it’s making will break it in two.

I found out today I’m pregnant. That inside of me, wallowing in amniotic fluid is a tiny little seed made up of me and you. Poor kid, what a gene pool to evolve from. It was one of those delightful little sticks you can buy over the counter that broke the news to me. I peed on it and just like magic, it told me.

I still haven’t thrown the stick in the bin. It presented me with such overwhelming news. I feel I should mount it or something. While I decide what should happen, it’s just sitting there on the bevelled top of the loo. Looking for all the world as if it’s a thermometer and wants to take someone’s temperature.

Finding out you’re pregnant can do that to a person. I feel as though I’ve lived my life. I feel as though I owe that little thermometer the life it’s given to me. I look at my belly and lay a hand across my navel. There is a life in me.

I unleash my bum from the bath, I take the little thermometer and look at it. I open the bin and drop it in. Uncertainty was in my make-up since I took the test. Certainty was how I would look at things. Certainty that I was going to tell my best friend. Certainty that I was going to have this baby.





Comments

  1. Congratulations Rae, that’s such good news. Exciting times ahead. Take care Bimpe x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not pregnant. It's just a story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant wow well written, as if your pregnant.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. It's much appreciated as is the time you take to write a comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Faetaera: Through The Rabbit Hole

  Larell’s heart was full to the brim.  His audience with Aurelia had been unexpected and full of wonder.  He was not surprised she was aware of his plans to send a force through to the other side.  Aurelia always knew everything going on in her world.  At times he thought he saw the weight of it bearing down upon her.  Then he wished to take her in his arms and carry her as well as the burdens she bore.  But of course he would never do this, merely imagine it.  It made him love her all the more.  She thought he did not know how she came by her information and he planned on keeping it that way.  It was the only way he knew to express his love for her without feeling foolish.   In the crystal lined chamber he felt her load more palpably than usual.   He knew it was simply his foolish love-sickness for his Queen but he let the feeling soak through him regardless.   Aurelia's lips twitched briefly as though she was amused.   She was kind in her tolerance of his ridiculous obsess

Aphasia - Phase 1

It was one morning of May 2021. I woke up and I couldn’t speak. I didn’t know I had a stroke. I carried on as though I was okay. I even tried to negotiate with my guest when she was leaving. I tried to talk but only mumbles came out of my mouth. She left me with a big hug. I knew something was wrong. I tried to call my cousin, Michelle. With a few grunts, I convinced her to come round to my place. In the end she came round and she was very worried. She stayed with and we had lunch together. After she left, I called my friend in Sheffield, Bev. I tried to say what was wrong with me. I couldn’t speak. She rang my neighbour, Kathy. Kathy was out with Nelson, her fabulous dog. Bev rang her so she came round. When she came to my house I was sitting in the dark. Bev said she should call an ambulance. I took the phone from her and shook my head. Before long my neighbours Lizz and Leo came to see how I was. Kathy told Leo to ring the ambulance because I took her phone. She did not know w

Faetaera: A Triumvirate

  A Triumvirate Brairton’s minions slipped through a barely noticeable fissure.  The tear would close shortly.  Despite the increase in their regularity the breaches rarely stayed open very long.  To the three insidious spies, the stink of the new world was almost unbearable.  But in time the triumvirate would each become so used to it they would scarcely notice it at all.  That it poisoned them they did not know.  Brairton was not in the habit of informing his operatives of fatal consequences.  Their programming precluded any thought beyond the mission they must complete.  In this Brairton had been exact and had performed the necessary rituals himself. Each had their mission branded into their being.   They would travel together for some time but then slip off to their secret destinations one by one, never to see each other again. The threesome latched on to their individual targets and began their particular brand of individual mischief immediately. Minion one skulked off to en