Skip to main content

The Unmarked Box

 


On a shelf in the back of a little Post Office sorting room in Didsbury sits a red and white Parcel Force bag waiting to be unpacked. Inside the bag is a variety of packages. Tucked into a corner of the bag is a little box; an ordinary box, measuring only 8cm by 7.5cm and 5cm deep. It has no unusual markings, no makers label and is made from recycled cardboard. It once housed paper clips, the ones covered in multi-coloured plastic. But they had been tipped into a little blue ashtray so that this box could rise above its station and become more than just an ordinary box.  

Soon, but perhaps not soon enough, the above mentioned box will be found by a CIB officer investigating the murder of a young journalist. Once found it will be marked by the officer in a chain of evidence log. The little box will then gain the status of Exhibit C for case number M/F000925439. A neatly printed evidence label with the box's new identity will be attached to its side and it will no longer be an unmarked box.

All this because nestled in a little fold of bubble wrap inside this box a memory stick sleeps peacefully in the dark confines of the little ex paper clip box.

Just two days ago the memory stick was plugged in to a shiny laptop. The laptop fed it some very kill worthy information. Even though its little red light flashed like the warning signal for landing aircraft on an overcrowded runway as it swallowed up the bytes of knowledge, the memory stick is not overly concerned about the contents of this information but the owner of the laptop - now he, he's very excited by what the little memory stick has tucked away in its memory banks. This man has dreams of journalism awards in tasteful frames some day hanging from the walls of his imaginary New York apartment. In his current daydream he also sees himself working with top news photographers, covering the kinds of stories that make a man a legend in his time.

The registered owner of the computer is Marc Goodwill and rather foolishly the password for all his confidential files is the name of his favourite Luc Besson film. Marc likes digging away at a story even when his sources tell him it’s not such a good idea to let his shovel sink so deep into the loam.

Marc listens but he sometimes refuses to hear.

Even when Marc’s sources disappear and turn up in body bags the size of A5 envelopes he still fails to understand the crucial message.

So when Marc Goodwill’s decomposing body is finally found in a seedy hotel better known for its vertical tango activities, there are those who will say Marc Goodwill had it coming.


Comments

  1. An excellent story to read. More please. 🥹 👍

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you blaming the laptop?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. Dying to read more.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. It's much appreciated as is the time you take to write a comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Guest Post: Creative Recharge

Lindsay Bamfield started writing fiction about 10 years ago. She has written a number of short stories and flash fiction pieces and has been published in Greenacre Writers Anthology , Voices from the Web 2012, The Best of Café Lit 2012, Mslexia, Writers’ News and Writing Magazine.  She has won prizes in Writers’ News , Writing Magazine and Words with Jam competitions and has been shortlisted in others. She is currently re-working her first novel with advice from an editor and has a second novel on the back-burner.  How do I recharge my writing batteries? I’m not sure I’m the right person to answer this as my batteries are still somewhat depleted after illness and debilitating treatment, but my writing activity, although still less than ideal has bounced back to some extent. It was only after being ill that I understood just how much energy writing requires. Exhaustion does not engender creativity. After a frustrating dry-spell when I wanted to writ...

Why I love living in Herne Hill

While chatting about current reads with my friend Bev, she mentioned how much she enjoyed reading Bill Bryson’s The Road to Little Dribbling .   And how too it had made her think about the reasons she loves living in the UK.   So, considering it a blog worthy idea, I asked her to write a guest post (to feature later this month). Now however, it’s my turn. My residency in the UK was totally unplanned.  Back in 1987 my parents and I were all set to move to Canada where two aunts and an uncle live.  But the Canadians decided not to grant us entry so hey presto, lucky old Britain got us instead. After our arrival we lived in a variety of areas: Edgware, Arsenal, Fulham and finally Herne Hill.  But it is most definitely Herne Hill where I find I want to stay.  When I’m on my travels it’s the place I get homesick for if things are not going according to plan on my journey. And why exactly is that? ONE I have 4, yes 4 parks in my...

#Amreading

So, it’s six months into this crazy Goodreads 100 book challenge I set myself and I’m happy to report that I'm now two books ahead.  This is largely due to the fact I’ve also been reading children’s books at breakfast.  Without this saving grace I believe I’d be whimpering in shame at this point.  “But is this reading of children’s books thing allowed?” I hear you all asking. The simple answer to that is: YES As I work with children, primarily instructing them on how to improve their creative writing, it is only fitting that I check out the books deemed to be totally read WORTHY by the kids and also by those who reckon they’re in the know. It will come as no great shock to you that I have disagreed with the Know-It-Alls from time to time but NEVER with the kids. However, this post is not about that.  What I would like to do now is give you a run down of the 5 books I’ve found most enjoyable thus far.  You would assume there’d be at ...