Skip to main content

Reluctant Poet, Sod it I’m 50 now & out of the closet




Oh the shame
For many years I hid the fact I wrote poetry, even from fellow writers. Why? My shame stemmed from the thought I wasn’t doing it right: my iambic pentameter was bound to be all wrong, my rhythm none existent, my rhyme cliché. I quivered in fear of collective poetic outrage. Instead I secretly sent work off to collections and quietly attended readings. No-one was more surprised than I was when my writing got accepted several times. But still, I refrained from openly mentioning my habit to all but a select few I felt would keep my secret safely stashed.

The evidence

Whatever…
Then I turned 50 and suddenly I didn’t care. Older friends told me this would be so but I doubted their wisdom. I realised I truly didn’t care. About a whole list of things.
E.g.
Grey hair
Hairy legs
Nail polish
Perfectly arched brows
Voicing my opinion freely

See how I snuck that one in there. The very day I turned 50 I began to sound remarkably like my mother. I waited for this thought to horrify me and discovered I felt rather pleased instead. I have some family scowling and muttering at this point: “Do we really need another know-it-all familial advisor?” But there are also a great deal of friends who knew my mum who are clapping, whooping and wolf whistling at this point.   So I thought #*%k it. I’m going to come out of the closet about my poetry habit too.

Never one to hesitate once I’ve made a decision, I instantly posted some of my poetry on my blog and even took some to my writing group. I’ll admit I was nervous about the second thing. Not because they’d sneer at my effort but because there’s a truly exceptional poet in the group and I was terrified she’d think my writing awful. Any writing. But thankfully she’s the kind of writer who says it like it is but is also all about encouragement. These are the types I value most. I don’t always want to be told my work is great. I mean SOMETIMES, but not ALWAYS. I want to know what’s working but crucially, what isn’t. Then I can go away and do that thing I love so very much; the refining.

For me this is slightly different to the edit. It’s the final bit when I think everything is almost perfect. Well, okay, nothing is ever perfect for this writer. Or probably any other writer come to think of it. But it’s that ‘on the precipice of being oh so right thing’. You probably know what I mean. Where you nit-pick about a word or phrase. Where you move a paragraph or line up or down. Where you remove all the punctuation. Then put it all back again 5 seconds later. Yeah, you know what I mean.

Publishing that Poesy
The long and the short of it is, I decided to Poesy, Publish and be Damned. Or not. So far I’ve yet to be struck down by lightening or urged to abandon my verse vulgarity. Well, there’s still time.

And in other news…
Jinx now has his own Instagram page. For those who’ve read his particular brand of obnoxious in Memoirs of a Feline Familiar, you may want more. Why I don’t quite know, but there it is.



The final edit of the poetry collaboration is coming on quite nicely. Thank you for asking. We hope to have the e-book out to you some time in May. The paperback will follow once we are out of Lockdown and can commit to a launch or two. A % of the proceeds will go towards local animal charities. More on this soon.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faetaera: Through The Rabbit Hole

  Larell’s heart was full to the brim.  His audience with Aurelia had been unexpected and full of wonder.  He was not surprised she was aware of his plans to send a force through to the other side.  Aurelia always knew everything going on in her world.  At times he thought he saw the weight of it bearing down upon her.  Then he wished to take her in his arms and carry her as well as the burdens she bore.  But of course he would never do this, merely imagine it.  It made him love her all the more.  She thought he did not know how she came by her information and he planned on keeping it that way.  It was the only way he knew to express his love for her without feeling foolish.   In the crystal lined chamber he felt her load more palpably than usual.   He knew it was simply his foolish love-sickness for his Queen but he let the feeling soak through him regardless.   Aurelia's lips twitched briefly as though she was amused.   She was kind in her tolerance of his ridiculous obsess

Aphasia - Phase 1

It was one morning of May 2021. I woke up and I couldn’t speak. I didn’t know I had a stroke. I carried on as though I was okay. I even tried to negotiate with my guest when she was leaving. I tried to talk but only mumbles came out of my mouth. She left me with a big hug. I knew something was wrong. I tried to call my cousin, Michelle. With a few grunts, I convinced her to come round to my place. In the end she came round and she was very worried. She stayed with and we had lunch together. After she left, I called my friend in Sheffield, Bev. I tried to say what was wrong with me. I couldn’t speak. She rang my neighbour, Kathy. Kathy was out with Nelson, her fabulous dog. Bev rang her so she came round. When she came to my house I was sitting in the dark. Bev said she should call an ambulance. I took the phone from her and shook my head. Before long my neighbours Lizz and Leo came to see how I was. Kathy told Leo to ring the ambulance because I took her phone. She did not know w

Faetaera: A Triumvirate

  A Triumvirate Brairton’s minions slipped through a barely noticeable fissure.  The tear would close shortly.  Despite the increase in their regularity the breaches rarely stayed open very long.  To the three insidious spies, the stink of the new world was almost unbearable.  But in time the triumvirate would each become so used to it they would scarcely notice it at all.  That it poisoned them they did not know.  Brairton was not in the habit of informing his operatives of fatal consequences.  Their programming precluded any thought beyond the mission they must complete.  In this Brairton had been exact and had performed the necessary rituals himself. Each had their mission branded into their being.   They would travel together for some time but then slip off to their secret destinations one by one, never to see each other again. The threesome latched on to their individual targets and began their particular brand of individual mischief immediately. Minion one skulked off to en