Skip to main content

Not Another Hero



In the UK October is Black History Month and inevitably has me thinking about who I admire most. I usually write a related post but in principal I disagree with the idea of only one month to celebrate what should be an ongoing acknowledgement. Invariably though, it’s during this month that I think about the people who inspire me because the question is asked of so many children in classrooms during this time. But heroes needn’t be living beings. It’s entirely possible to have literary heroes too. Recently I’ve been thinking a lot about those heroes in books and films I admire despite their race, gender or obvious unheroic flaws. And since I’m currently participating in an e-book giveaway about atypical heroes it seems fitting to be writing about this particular topic now.

So firstly, here is a list of my favourite books containing atypical heroes and heroines. It is fairly long but I will only subject you to a few of them. If you haven’t read any of these books as yet then I sincerely urge you to do so. Not just because of their atypical heroes but because they are excellent reads.

Eleanor Oliphant is Fine – the heroine is the troubled narrator who must navigate her way through life and all its challenges
Good Omens – the heroes in this one come thick and fast: a demon and an angel who team up to save mankind, a young witch and a witch-finder and the children Adam, Pepper, Wensleydale, Brian and of course the Dog
Alias Grace – a convicted murderous
Jane Eyre – an orphaned governess
Fledgling – a new born female vampire
Chocolat – a chocolatier and her daughter
Beloved – a ghost

As you can see, they are certainly varied. They also span different genre as well as writing periods but female antiheroes seem to abound. Perhaps the predominance of leading female characters is determined by my gender. It then stands to reason this will be reflected in the types of film I favour. Yet this is not the case. And interestingly all of the films I favour fall into the action genre.

The first of these is the Luc Besson film Leon. I absolutely love this film despite the fact the main character is an assassin. I rarely buy music or DVDs as I’m a book person by nature and my shelves testify to this. But when a DVD makes it onto my shelf you can be certain it’s one I truly value and intend to rewatch as often as possible. Yes, I know there’s Netflix but there’s just something about deciding which DVD I’m going to watch and popping it into the player.

Before Leon there was Payback starring Mel Gibson as a thief. He has since done other films in which his character is the antihero, such as Tequila Sunrise, but Payback is the one I return to time and again. Clearly Hollywood agrees with my excellent taste because in 2013 they did a remake starring none other than Jason Statham. Then there is the Swedish trilogy based on the Stig Larson books about a girl with a dragon tattoo. I simply cannot get enough of Lisbeth Silander.

Most recently I’ve become very fond of the main character in Baby Driver. The excellent performances by the supporting actors and the sound track don’t hurt either. And yes, it has made it onto my DVD shelf.

I could go on and on about my favourites but the main point is, it would seem, that I am a sucker for an antihero. So don’t be shy when you let me know who your personal favourites are. You never know, I might end up adding them to my watchlist.

FREE e-books for you



Comments

  1. Hey lovely. Nobody will remember Adam Cartwright from Bonanza but I had a crush on him til I was 12. When I (almost) was grown up, it was Tom Baker as Dr Who. Then Dustin and Robert in All the Presidents Men. Then Charles Dance in Jewel in the Crown. And on and on and on. As you know, I don't share your tastes in heroes. Or indeed films. But that's what makes our conversations so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the names Charles Dance and Tom Baker. After that I have to use Google for research. Looking forward to seeing you soon.

      Delete
  2. Eee, lass. It's Dustin Hoffman and Robert Redford as Bernstein and Woodward...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. It's much appreciated as is the time you take to write a comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Faetaera: Through The Rabbit Hole

  Larell’s heart was full to the brim.  His audience with Aurelia had been unexpected and full of wonder.  He was not surprised she was aware of his plans to send a force through to the other side.  Aurelia always knew everything going on in her world.  At times he thought he saw the weight of it bearing down upon her.  Then he wished to take her in his arms and carry her as well as the burdens she bore.  But of course he would never do this, merely imagine it.  It made him love her all the more.  She thought he did not know how she came by her information and he planned on keeping it that way.  It was the only way he knew to express his love for her without feeling foolish.   In the crystal lined chamber he felt her load more palpably than usual.   He knew it was simply his foolish love-sickness for his Queen but he let the feeling soak through him regardless.   Aurelia's lips twitched briefly as though she was amused.   She was kind in her tolerance of his ridiculous obsess

Faetaera: A Triumvirate

  A Triumvirate Brairton’s minions slipped through a barely noticeable fissure.  The tear would close shortly.  Despite the increase in their regularity the breaches rarely stayed open very long.  To the three insidious spies, the stink of the new world was almost unbearable.  But in time the triumvirate would each become so used to it they would scarcely notice it at all.  That it poisoned them they did not know.  Brairton was not in the habit of informing his operatives of fatal consequences.  Their programming precluded any thought beyond the mission they must complete.  In this Brairton had been exact and had performed the necessary rituals himself. Each had their mission branded into their being.   They would travel together for some time but then slip off to their secret destinations one by one, never to see each other again. The threesome latched on to their individual targets and began their particular brand of individual mischief immediately. Minion one skulked off to en

Aphasia - Phase 1

It was one morning of May 2021. I woke up and I couldn’t speak. I didn’t know I had a stroke. I carried on as though I was okay. I even tried to negotiate with my guest when she was leaving. I tried to talk but only mumbles came out of my mouth. She left me with a big hug. I knew something was wrong. I tried to call my cousin, Michelle. With a few grunts, I convinced her to come round to my place. In the end she came round and she was very worried. She stayed with and we had lunch together. After she left, I called my friend in Sheffield, Bev. I tried to say what was wrong with me. I couldn’t speak. She rang my neighbour, Kathy. Kathy was out with Nelson, her fabulous dog. Bev rang her so she came round. When she came to my house I was sitting in the dark. Bev said she should call an ambulance. I took the phone from her and shook my head. Before long my neighbours Lizz and Leo came to see how I was. Kathy told Leo to ring the ambulance because I took her phone. She did not know w