Skip to main content

Confessions of a Reading Challenge Cheat



It was 19 December and I still had 17 books left to read to complete my Goodreads challenge. I was convinced I wouldn’t reach my 100 book target before the end of 2018. So I decided to indulge in a spot of cheating by raiding the reading closets and shelves of the students on my tutoring rounds. Anyone who has followed my blog will know I have a bit of previous in this regard.


Once more, my students did not let me down. They brought their books to me like Wise Men offering their presents up to baby Jesus. Huge thanks to the Chowdury children for trusting me with their treasured collection. You set me on the road to achieving my goal when all seemed lost and gave me the opportunity to read my first ever Peppa Pig. Thank you also for handing over Little Miss Splendid to boost my reading power and self-esteem. Due to this generous reading donation my unreachable target moved towards something achievable.


My next stop was the children’s section of Tate Brixton Library where I grabbed a load of books willy nilly and started reading. No doubt, from the worried looks I was getting, I made an interesting spectacle crammed into one of those pint-sized plastic chairs. When a reading challenge is on the line it's no time to worry about the look of things. Besides, this little venture introduced me to some choice reading matter. My absolute favourite find was The Dam by David Almond with illustrations by Levi Pinfold. The muted drawings perfectly matched the poignant story tucked within this unassuming cover. My next favourite was Little Red and The Very Hungry Lion. Think Little Red Riding Hood but set in Africa. With all these great offerings available my target was beginning to move ever closer to that seemingly unreachable 100 books.

In my dreams my covert reading plans gained pace as I planned to head over to West Norwood Library on Christmas Eve for a morning of furtive reading. My plans were foiled by their late opening and the chance to go dancing at The Royal Festival Hall. The scales of fun trembled with the decision I had to make, but the dancing won out and library lurking would have to wait for another day. At this point I was still 5 books short of my target. But I wasn’t too anxious. After all, I still had 7 more sleeps to read my way to success. A tiny niggle at the back of my mind did leave me wondering if this would be the first time I would fail to achieve a reading challenge target.

I should not have doubted my resourcefulness though. Even as I finished another adult book which I had struggled my way through, I realised I had a few choice bits and pieces on my shelves I could reread if I didn’t get the opportunity to hit the library again. It was indeed this plan which took me from 97 reads all the way to that century I was hoping for mere days from the end of 2018.

So folks, never despair if the end seems light years away. It turns out that a reread is as good as a new read. And some new reads, though they may seem insignificant because their font comes in large sizes and pictures predominate, are as valuable as a New York best seller or a Carnegie Medal winner.



Whatever you plan on doing in 2019, be sure that reading (no matter what the book) is your top priority.

To check out my cheat reads or see reviews of the books I read in 2018 please visit my author page on Goodreads.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faetaera: Through The Rabbit Hole

  Larell’s heart was full to the brim.  His audience with Aurelia had been unexpected and full of wonder.  He was not surprised she was aware of his plans to send a force through to the other side.  Aurelia always knew everything going on in her world.  At times he thought he saw the weight of it bearing down upon her.  Then he wished to take her in his arms and carry her as well as the burdens she bore.  But of course he would never do this, merely imagine it.  It made him love her all the more.  She thought he did not know how she came by her information and he planned on keeping it that way.  It was the only way he knew to express his love for her without feeling foolish.   In the crystal lined chamber he felt her load more palpably than usual.   He knew it was simply his foolish love-sickness for his Queen but he let the feeling soak through him regardless.   Aurelia's lips twitched briefly as though she was amused.   She was kind in her tolerance of his ridiculous obsess

Faetaera: A Triumvirate

  A Triumvirate Brairton’s minions slipped through a barely noticeable fissure.  The tear would close shortly.  Despite the increase in their regularity the breaches rarely stayed open very long.  To the three insidious spies, the stink of the new world was almost unbearable.  But in time the triumvirate would each become so used to it they would scarcely notice it at all.  That it poisoned them they did not know.  Brairton was not in the habit of informing his operatives of fatal consequences.  Their programming precluded any thought beyond the mission they must complete.  In this Brairton had been exact and had performed the necessary rituals himself. Each had their mission branded into their being.   They would travel together for some time but then slip off to their secret destinations one by one, never to see each other again. The threesome latched on to their individual targets and began their particular brand of individual mischief immediately. Minion one skulked off to en

Aphasia - Phase 1

It was one morning of May 2021. I woke up and I couldn’t speak. I didn’t know I had a stroke. I carried on as though I was okay. I even tried to negotiate with my guest when she was leaving. I tried to talk but only mumbles came out of my mouth. She left me with a big hug. I knew something was wrong. I tried to call my cousin, Michelle. With a few grunts, I convinced her to come round to my place. In the end she came round and she was very worried. She stayed with and we had lunch together. After she left, I called my friend in Sheffield, Bev. I tried to say what was wrong with me. I couldn’t speak. She rang my neighbour, Kathy. Kathy was out with Nelson, her fabulous dog. Bev rang her so she came round. When she came to my house I was sitting in the dark. Bev said she should call an ambulance. I took the phone from her and shook my head. Before long my neighbours Lizz and Leo came to see how I was. Kathy told Leo to ring the ambulance because I took her phone. She did not know w