Skip to main content

New Year New Challenge




In 2016 I resolved to set myself a reading challenge through Goodreads. This first challenge saw me attempting to read 100 books in a year. I achieved this with only the tiniest bit of cheating. I’ve been assured it was allowable cheating, so thankfully my penance simply consists of having to read more books.

My second challenge saw me delving into the #Discworld. What a Fantasy-tastic challenge that was. To read about it please check out my 15 December post from last year. For my reviews of all the books I read please go to Goodreads.

This year I’m going for the big 100 again but with a little twist. My aim is to read as many graphic novels and Indie books as possible. To save costs I’ll be getting the graphic novels from the library and the majority of the independent books I’ll probably read on my kindle. So I’m going to be spending a fair amount of time accessing books through Instafreebie for that portion of the challenge.

For those of you not familiar with Instafreebie, let me enlighten you. It was created in 2014 with the main aim of accelerating “great stories and big ideas.” How it works is that you sign up to an Instafreebie e-book giveaway (YES, THAT’S A FREE E-BOOK) and in exchange you give your email address to the author of the book. The author can then add you to his/her mailing list so you can hopefully become one of his/her loyal followers. You’re not stuck in this loop though. If you’re not really into the author’s work, you can opt out of the mailing list later down the line. It’s that simple.

The great thing for an Indie author like me is that it helps me build my mailing list and hopefully get a loyal readership along the way. Reading books from the Instafreebie catalogue also gives me the opportunity to find other Indie authors out there and support them by writing a blurb/review of their book. Trust me, us Indie authors love Love LOVE a review. Yes, that is a hint.

The superb thing for a reader on a limited budget is that you get books for FREE. As an avid reader always watching the pennies, I’m in seventh heaven about this arrangement.

I’ve already got my eye on a selection of authors I’m planning on reading through Instafreebie. I'll be publishing reviews of these independent authors on this blog in posts which will be entitled #Indie Intro. The first of these will be A Touch of Magic by Lisa M White.

Where I’d like your help though is with suggestions for graphic novels I should consider.  Please post suggested titles in the comment box and I promise I’ll read them if they’re available through my local library.

The following titles have already been suggested:


Watchmen
Persepolis
Maus
Anything by Daniel Clowes
Rivers of London

Happy reading everyone and thanks in advance for reading suggestions to come.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faetaera: Through The Rabbit Hole

  Larell’s heart was full to the brim.  His audience with Aurelia had been unexpected and full of wonder.  He was not surprised she was aware of his plans to send a force through to the other side.  Aurelia always knew everything going on in her world.  At times he thought he saw the weight of it bearing down upon her.  Then he wished to take her in his arms and carry her as well as the burdens she bore.  But of course he would never do this, merely imagine it.  It made him love her all the more.  She thought he did not know how she came by her information and he planned on keeping it that way.  It was the only way he knew to express his love for her without feeling foolish.   In the crystal lined chamber he felt her load more palpably than usual.   He knew it was simply his foolish love-sickness for his Queen but he let the feeling soak through him regardless.   Aurelia's lips twitched briefly as though she was amused.   She was kind in her tolerance of his ridiculous obsess

Faetaera: A Triumvirate

  A Triumvirate Brairton’s minions slipped through a barely noticeable fissure.  The tear would close shortly.  Despite the increase in their regularity the breaches rarely stayed open very long.  To the three insidious spies, the stink of the new world was almost unbearable.  But in time the triumvirate would each become so used to it they would scarcely notice it at all.  That it poisoned them they did not know.  Brairton was not in the habit of informing his operatives of fatal consequences.  Their programming precluded any thought beyond the mission they must complete.  In this Brairton had been exact and had performed the necessary rituals himself. Each had their mission branded into their being.   They would travel together for some time but then slip off to their secret destinations one by one, never to see each other again. The threesome latched on to their individual targets and began their particular brand of individual mischief immediately. Minion one skulked off to en

Aphasia - Phase 1

It was one morning of May 2021. I woke up and I couldn’t speak. I didn’t know I had a stroke. I carried on as though I was okay. I even tried to negotiate with my guest when she was leaving. I tried to talk but only mumbles came out of my mouth. She left me with a big hug. I knew something was wrong. I tried to call my cousin, Michelle. With a few grunts, I convinced her to come round to my place. In the end she came round and she was very worried. She stayed with and we had lunch together. After she left, I called my friend in Sheffield, Bev. I tried to say what was wrong with me. I couldn’t speak. She rang my neighbour, Kathy. Kathy was out with Nelson, her fabulous dog. Bev rang her so she came round. When she came to my house I was sitting in the dark. Bev said she should call an ambulance. I took the phone from her and shook my head. Before long my neighbours Lizz and Leo came to see how I was. Kathy told Leo to ring the ambulance because I took her phone. She did not know w