Skip to main content

My Year in Books





I’ve done it! Just ahead of my 31 December deadline I’ve finished my final book of the Discworld series. There are 41 books in total so the smallest amount of cheating was involved since I’d already read 16 of them prior to setting myself this challenge. Despite this it was more difficult than I initially anticipated.  Some of the books took longer to read because they didn’t grip me in the way I expected. Because of this I was forced to abandon my desire to reread several of my favourites such as The Wee Free Men. There is however next year for that.

The most unexpected part of this challenge was that I didn’t automatically love every single Discworld novel penned by Sir Pratchett. Happily I loved enough of them to justify this author’s status as one of my favourites forever more. Besides, anyone who co-authors a book like Good Omens is a writing god as far as I’m concerned.

I didn’t only read the Discworld series during this period though. There were several others and there are some corkers in that list such as The Girl Who Saved The King of Sweden & Flowers for Algernon. In total I read 58 books this year.

This challenge has turned my top 5 list into a top 6:

Captain Corelli’s Mandolin
The Lord Of The Rings
Flowers For Algernon
The Book Thief
Jane Eyre
Beloved

If this keeps up I’ll have a top 10 before the end of 2018.

I have no doubt whatsoever that the New Year holds even more extraordinary reads for me to discover. After all, I’m never going to stop reading.


MY 2017 READS












I hope your 2017 reading has been half as enjoyable as mine. Wishing you further reading happiness for 2018.

Comments

  1. A good top 6 - I haven't read Flowers for Algernon so must check that out.

    Happy 2018!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can highly recommend Flowers for Algernon. But have some tissues ready because there's a very sad section towards the end. Happy 2018 to you too.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. It's much appreciated as is the time you take to write a comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Guest Post: Creative Recharge

Lindsay Bamfield started writing fiction about 10 years ago. She has written a number of short stories and flash fiction pieces and has been published in Greenacre Writers Anthology , Voices from the Web 2012, The Best of Café Lit 2012, Mslexia, Writers’ News and Writing Magazine.  She has won prizes in Writers’ News , Writing Magazine and Words with Jam competitions and has been shortlisted in others. She is currently re-working her first novel with advice from an editor and has a second novel on the back-burner.  How do I recharge my writing batteries? I’m not sure I’m the right person to answer this as my batteries are still somewhat depleted after illness and debilitating treatment, but my writing activity, although still less than ideal has bounced back to some extent. It was only after being ill that I understood just how much energy writing requires. Exhaustion does not engender creativity. After a frustrating dry-spell when I wanted to writ...

Why I love living in Herne Hill

While chatting about current reads with my friend Bev, she mentioned how much she enjoyed reading Bill Bryson’s The Road to Little Dribbling .   And how too it had made her think about the reasons she loves living in the UK.   So, considering it a blog worthy idea, I asked her to write a guest post (to feature later this month). Now however, it’s my turn. My residency in the UK was totally unplanned.  Back in 1987 my parents and I were all set to move to Canada where two aunts and an uncle live.  But the Canadians decided not to grant us entry so hey presto, lucky old Britain got us instead. After our arrival we lived in a variety of areas: Edgware, Arsenal, Fulham and finally Herne Hill.  But it is most definitely Herne Hill where I find I want to stay.  When I’m on my travels it’s the place I get homesick for if things are not going according to plan on my journey. And why exactly is that? ONE I have 4, yes 4 parks in my...

#Amreading

So, it’s six months into this crazy Goodreads 100 book challenge I set myself and I’m happy to report that I'm now two books ahead.  This is largely due to the fact I’ve also been reading children’s books at breakfast.  Without this saving grace I believe I’d be whimpering in shame at this point.  “But is this reading of children’s books thing allowed?” I hear you all asking. The simple answer to that is: YES As I work with children, primarily instructing them on how to improve their creative writing, it is only fitting that I check out the books deemed to be totally read WORTHY by the kids and also by those who reckon they’re in the know. It will come as no great shock to you that I have disagreed with the Know-It-Alls from time to time but NEVER with the kids. However, this post is not about that.  What I would like to do now is give you a run down of the 5 books I’ve found most enjoyable thus far.  You would assume there’d be at ...