Skip to main content

BHM: Amma Asante





I’m taking a slightly different tack in celebrating Black History this month by looking at what the present has to offer, which in turn leads to what the future could hold.  In order to understand how we’ve come to our here and now we need innovative people to enlighten and educate us. This might be through literature, art or film. As I’m a writer I bet you’re expecting me to go down the literature route. I’m bucking the trend though as my chosen medium for this post is film. Naturally that means we need to take a look at Amma Asante.


If you don’t know who she is, then keep reading. This post is about her films rather than the director herself.  For that, all you need do is take a look at her website.  The first time Amma came onto my radar was in 2015 when I heard about the film Belle. There were two main draws for me, the subject matter and the fact it was a period drama. I’m a sucker for these.  Centring round the mixed race great-niece of Lord Chief Justice Mansfield, the film focuses on the very likely prospect that Dido influenced her great-uncle’s legal rulings concerning slavery.



I was intrigued by the film and wanted to know what else Amma had directed.  She didn’t start out as a film director but rather as a child actor in Grange Hill.  Sadly I've not seen any of these, not having grown up in the UK but I can say I’m thrilled Amma moved into directing, giving us her debut film, A Way of Life in 2004. Unsurprisingly the film looks at racism. What’s different is that Amma chooses to look at it through the eyes of the perpetrators rather than the victims.  The film won her 17 international newcomer awards and I’m not surprised in the slightest.

In 2016 Amma came to the fore again with A United Kingdom. When I was a girl my mother told me about Seretse Khama and his English wife, perhaps to illustrate that Apartheid could be overcome despite the personal cost. While Belle highlighted Britain’s crucial role in the abolishment of slavery this story is a sharp reminder that Britain has a colonial past which can’t be ignored.

Where Hands Touch is Amma’s upcoming project and has me chewing my nails in anticipation. It looks at the biracial children in Hitler’s Germany. The film has already received harsh criticism and been described as a “Nazi love film” while Amma has been accused of glamorising hatred and murder. The naivety of these claims astound me and is one of the reasons I hate the need social media has to pigeon hole literature, art and film into a specific category. Anyone who has seen Amma’s back-catalogue surely understands she’s always going to make us look at topics which make us uncomfortable. That’s what I love so much about her films. Without the questions there can be no thoughts or discussion.  To learn, to break cycles of destruction, we have to SEE. We have to LISTEN. We have to HEAR.


I can’t wait to see what Amma Asante gives the world of cinema next.




Many thanks to Will Wood, Emily Hargreaves & Christiane Donovan from multimedia.co.uk for their helpful correspondence and consent in using the photograph of Amma featured in this post.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faetaera: Through The Rabbit Hole

  Larell’s heart was full to the brim.  His audience with Aurelia had been unexpected and full of wonder.  He was not surprised she was aware of his plans to send a force through to the other side.  Aurelia always knew everything going on in her world.  At times he thought he saw the weight of it bearing down upon her.  Then he wished to take her in his arms and carry her as well as the burdens she bore.  But of course he would never do this, merely imagine it.  It made him love her all the more.  She thought he did not know how she came by her information and he planned on keeping it that way.  It was the only way he knew to express his love for her without feeling foolish.   In the crystal lined chamber he felt her load more palpably than usual.   He knew it was simply his foolish love-sickness for his Queen but he let the feeling soak through him regardless.   Aurelia's lips twitched briefly as though she was amused.   She was kind in her tolerance of his ridiculous obsess

Faetaera: A Triumvirate

  A Triumvirate Brairton’s minions slipped through a barely noticeable fissure.  The tear would close shortly.  Despite the increase in their regularity the breaches rarely stayed open very long.  To the three insidious spies, the stink of the new world was almost unbearable.  But in time the triumvirate would each become so used to it they would scarcely notice it at all.  That it poisoned them they did not know.  Brairton was not in the habit of informing his operatives of fatal consequences.  Their programming precluded any thought beyond the mission they must complete.  In this Brairton had been exact and had performed the necessary rituals himself. Each had their mission branded into their being.   They would travel together for some time but then slip off to their secret destinations one by one, never to see each other again. The threesome latched on to their individual targets and began their particular brand of individual mischief immediately. Minion one skulked off to en

Aphasia - Phase 1

It was one morning of May 2021. I woke up and I couldn’t speak. I didn’t know I had a stroke. I carried on as though I was okay. I even tried to negotiate with my guest when she was leaving. I tried to talk but only mumbles came out of my mouth. She left me with a big hug. I knew something was wrong. I tried to call my cousin, Michelle. With a few grunts, I convinced her to come round to my place. In the end she came round and she was very worried. She stayed with and we had lunch together. After she left, I called my friend in Sheffield, Bev. I tried to say what was wrong with me. I couldn’t speak. She rang my neighbour, Kathy. Kathy was out with Nelson, her fabulous dog. Bev rang her so she came round. When she came to my house I was sitting in the dark. Bev said she should call an ambulance. I took the phone from her and shook my head. Before long my neighbours Lizz and Leo came to see how I was. Kathy told Leo to ring the ambulance because I took her phone. She did not know w