Skip to main content

How To Juggle Writing & Life




Two years ago I wrote about how I sent out a wish to the Cosmos and it delivered big time. I got to spend my mornings writing up a storm then tutoring and helping people who want to learn to read and write in the afternoons and evenings.

All those morning writing sessions meant I got a lot of books written.  Things have changed a bit since then though.  Last year I was asked to work with Lewisham Young Women’s Resource Project (a charity which helps young women stay in education or get back into it if they have become disenchanted with it for some reason).  So I agreed to step in and teach English for them. This however cut my 5 mornings of writing down to just 2. Initially I worried this would mean I wouldn’t get enough writing done.  I was concerned even more that I seemed to be spending huge amounts of time updating my social media. So I decided to rejig my work schedule a bit.

It helps that I’m a fairly early riser and can get straight into writing almost immediately after a cup of coffee or tea.  But this is how I set up my writing week:

Monday – Friday Mornings

1 Check all my emails and respond to them as quickly as possible then save them in appropriate folders and mark those less urgent for attention to be done at the next possible opportunity.

Putting emails in folders is invaluable for finding things at a later date when any queries come up or I need to check my appalling memory to see if I’ve done something I’ve said I have. It also clears my inbox so I don’t feel overwhelmed by how many emails need sorting out.

2 Check my social media accounts and respond to messages, likes, shares etc. I also use Hootsuite to pre-schedule posts so I know I’m making some contribution to social media even when I’m teaching or lost in my writing.

3 Have breakfast

4 If it’s a teaching morning, I leave for the charity.

If it’s a writing day, I get working on whichever novel, blog post or review I’m writing at that point. I turn off my social media alerts so I don’t get distracted by them. I don’t have to do this too often as I’m usually so engrossed in writing I often don’t notice them and sometimes even forget to stop to eat.

If I remember to have a food break then I get back to writing as soon after that as possible. All in all I probably write for about 6 hours on my designated writing days. It’s amazing how many words you can get down with such a limited amount of time.

Sometimes I write a bit before I head out to teach but this is dangerous as I often get lost in the writing and then have to run around like crazy to get ready to leave on time so I’m not late for the teaching session at the charity.

The Weekend



I work on my social media accounts on Saturdays and set up scheduled posts for the coming week. Then I try and get out of the house to meet up with friends or family or do something cultural if at all possible.




I don’t work on Sundays but instead take time out to do Pilates and spend more time with friends or family. I find myself drawn out more often in Spring and Summer than in the Winter but love inviting people over for meals and games of Scrabble or a DVD screening in the colder months.


I am however by no means perfect at sticking to this routine. I’m as prone to procrastination as the next person and often find Spring and Summer very difficult times for staying on track. I think this is because in Winter I’m cocooned at my desk with my writing lamp focused on the laptop and the door shut to keep draughts out.

As soon as Spring sets in the sun comes up earlier and there’s light blazing throughout the house. This is where my attention wanders. I also get distracted by sporting events on telly such as gymnastics, snooker and Wimbledon. But a little procrastination hurts no-one so I let it happen from time to time.


One rule remains constant though - my designated writing days are sacrosanct. I let everyone know which days they are and fit commitments around them. Births, deaths and taxes are the only things which disrupt this routine.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Bev, accidentally deleted your comment when I was trying to do some admin on the blog. I'm a clutz. Is that how you spell it? Would really appreciate if you wrote it again. Sorry - groaning emoticon

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. It's much appreciated as is the time you take to write a comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Faetaera: Through The Rabbit Hole

  Larell’s heart was full to the brim.  His audience with Aurelia had been unexpected and full of wonder.  He was not surprised she was aware of his plans to send a force through to the other side.  Aurelia always knew everything going on in her world.  At times he thought he saw the weight of it bearing down upon her.  Then he wished to take her in his arms and carry her as well as the burdens she bore.  But of course he would never do this, merely imagine it.  It made him love her all the more.  She thought he did not know how she came by her information and he planned on keeping it that way.  It was the only way he knew to express his love for her without feeling foolish.   In the crystal lined chamber he felt her load more palpably than usual.   He knew it was simply his foolish love-sickness for his Queen but he let the feeling soak through him regardless.   Aurelia's lips twitched briefly as though she was amused.   She was kind in her tolerance of his ridiculous obsess

Faetaera: A Triumvirate

  A Triumvirate Brairton’s minions slipped through a barely noticeable fissure.  The tear would close shortly.  Despite the increase in their regularity the breaches rarely stayed open very long.  To the three insidious spies, the stink of the new world was almost unbearable.  But in time the triumvirate would each become so used to it they would scarcely notice it at all.  That it poisoned them they did not know.  Brairton was not in the habit of informing his operatives of fatal consequences.  Their programming precluded any thought beyond the mission they must complete.  In this Brairton had been exact and had performed the necessary rituals himself. Each had their mission branded into their being.   They would travel together for some time but then slip off to their secret destinations one by one, never to see each other again. The threesome latched on to their individual targets and began their particular brand of individual mischief immediately. Minion one skulked off to en

Aphasia - Phase 1

It was one morning of May 2021. I woke up and I couldn’t speak. I didn’t know I had a stroke. I carried on as though I was okay. I even tried to negotiate with my guest when she was leaving. I tried to talk but only mumbles came out of my mouth. She left me with a big hug. I knew something was wrong. I tried to call my cousin, Michelle. With a few grunts, I convinced her to come round to my place. In the end she came round and she was very worried. She stayed with and we had lunch together. After she left, I called my friend in Sheffield, Bev. I tried to say what was wrong with me. I couldn’t speak. She rang my neighbour, Kathy. Kathy was out with Nelson, her fabulous dog. Bev rang her so she came round. When she came to my house I was sitting in the dark. Bev said she should call an ambulance. I took the phone from her and shook my head. Before long my neighbours Lizz and Leo came to see how I was. Kathy told Leo to ring the ambulance because I took her phone. She did not know w