Skip to main content

A Very Private Protest




Shortly after Lambeth Council shut Carnegie Library and before I became a trustee with the Carnegie Library Association, I felt such utter helplessness in the face of a government body and its relentless disregard for what local residents actually want and need.  Yes, I’d supported The Occupation.  Yes, I’d gone on the marches.  Yes, I’d inundated my Twitter feed with anything and everything to do with loving my library.  But I didn’t feel it was enough.

As a tutor with Ruskin Readers I was in the midst of the plight faced by community groups ousted from Carnegie Library.  While I tried to assist our lead tutor Caroline Knapp as she emailed and made Facebook appeals for us to secure a suitable venue, I quietly seethed within.

I wanted to do SOMETHING.



Then I got a notification email from my Google Calendar to renew my library books.  I made a sudden resolution.  


I would not return any of the library books I currently had in my possession unless I was returning them to a reopened Carnegie Library.  And so began my very silent, very private protest.

My work schedule leaves me little time to visit a library.  Having the Carnegie almost on my doorstep was a boon.  It meant that after work on a Monday I still had time to have supper before heading over for my tutoring session at Ruskin Readers.  As well as this, it meant I could return books and order or loan new ones before spending time with my Ruskin Readers’ student. I could use the library resources to plan my lessons and organise resources.  And whatever strange new idea I had for teaching my student, the wonderful library staff were always on hand to advise and assist.

Now that Carnegie Library is shut my closest Lambeth libraries are Brixton, West Norwood and Streatham.  None of these are conveniently placed enroute to and from work.  And when I have managed to find the time to get down to Brixton it’s been so crowded I’ve just turned tail and run next door to the calm of the café of the Black Cultural Archives instead.


The opening times of West Norwood library just happen to be such that they do not accommodate my restricted schedule.  Then there’s my perverse reluctance to enter a library which is not Carnegie.  I simply feel disloyal, foolish as that may sound.


So I resolved to maintain my private protest and find books in other ways.  Remarkably, without anyone being aware I’d made my silent vow, I suddenly began receiving a load of books from people.  


It all began when I informed some of my students I’d embarked on a 100 book reading challenge for 2016.  They began to thrust copies of their favourite books at me and urged me to read them.



I also did book swaps with another person who’d begun his own silent – no return – protest.  Before I knew what was happening, I had a stack of books to read and hadn’t bought a single one nor had I violated my sense of loyalty to Carnegie Library.

Now I simply renew my loans online and set myself a reminder on my Google Calendar to renew again.  This is a tiny and insignificant thing in the whole scheme of things, but it gives me an immense sense of satisfaction none-the-less.


The 11 books I currently have out on loan are due to be renewed on 20th January. I’ve set my reminder.  My very silent, no longer so very private protest continues.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guest Post: Creative Recharge

Lindsay Bamfield started writing fiction about 10 years ago. She has written a number of short stories and flash fiction pieces and has been published in Greenacre Writers Anthology , Voices from the Web 2012, The Best of Café Lit 2012, Mslexia, Writers’ News and Writing Magazine.  She has won prizes in Writers’ News , Writing Magazine and Words with Jam competitions and has been shortlisted in others. She is currently re-working her first novel with advice from an editor and has a second novel on the back-burner.  How do I recharge my writing batteries? I’m not sure I’m the right person to answer this as my batteries are still somewhat depleted after illness and debilitating treatment, but my writing activity, although still less than ideal has bounced back to some extent. It was only after being ill that I understood just how much energy writing requires. Exhaustion does not engender creativity. After a frustrating dry-spell when I wanted to writ...

Why I love living in Herne Hill

While chatting about current reads with my friend Bev, she mentioned how much she enjoyed reading Bill Bryson’s The Road to Little Dribbling .   And how too it had made her think about the reasons she loves living in the UK.   So, considering it a blog worthy idea, I asked her to write a guest post (to feature later this month). Now however, it’s my turn. My residency in the UK was totally unplanned.  Back in 1987 my parents and I were all set to move to Canada where two aunts and an uncle live.  But the Canadians decided not to grant us entry so hey presto, lucky old Britain got us instead. After our arrival we lived in a variety of areas: Edgware, Arsenal, Fulham and finally Herne Hill.  But it is most definitely Herne Hill where I find I want to stay.  When I’m on my travels it’s the place I get homesick for if things are not going according to plan on my journey. And why exactly is that? ONE I have 4, yes 4 parks in my...

#Amreading

So, it’s six months into this crazy Goodreads 100 book challenge I set myself and I’m happy to report that I'm now two books ahead.  This is largely due to the fact I’ve also been reading children’s books at breakfast.  Without this saving grace I believe I’d be whimpering in shame at this point.  “But is this reading of children’s books thing allowed?” I hear you all asking. The simple answer to that is: YES As I work with children, primarily instructing them on how to improve their creative writing, it is only fitting that I check out the books deemed to be totally read WORTHY by the kids and also by those who reckon they’re in the know. It will come as no great shock to you that I have disagreed with the Know-It-Alls from time to time but NEVER with the kids. However, this post is not about that.  What I would like to do now is give you a run down of the 5 books I’ve found most enjoyable thus far.  You would assume there’d be at ...