Skip to main content

Countdown to the New Year – Part II




As promised in my previous post, here for you to enjoy, hopefully as much as I did.

My top five Good things of 2015


I’d like to begin my countdown with paying off my bank loan.  This financial weight has been with me longer than I care to remember.  It was entirely my own doing due to silly expenditure and living beyond my means.  Thankfully, the decision to focus on my writing and the support of wonderful friends and family helped me figure out the things which really mattered the most.



It’s taken a good long while to pay off my loan.  Along the way I’ve had to decide between wants and needs.  And I’ve come to realise that what I want is not necessarily what I need.  


So now I always ask myself:
“Do you want it, or do you need it?”
Incredibly, with less annual income than I’ve ever earned, I find myself more contented than I’ve ever been.

According to my trusty filing system, I started working for Louise at Inkhead in 2013.  Even though I was an English teacher for 13 years prior to this I was still nervous about embarking on this venture.  I’ve always steered clear of young people under the age of 10.  They can prove to be somewhat clingy. 



But, prolonged periods in the presence of the under 10s is now an absolute must have for me.  Their incredible wackiness combined with their amazing way of viewing the world is a constant joy.  

I CANNOT be miserable when I have these embodiments of all life’s possibilities before me.  Kids of the world – you rock!

I’ve always been a huge fan of drama on the BBC.  The list of my favourites is endless – The Musketeers, Garret’s Law, Engrenages, Silent Witness…  And now there is The Last Kingdom. 

As I didn’t grow up in the UK my knowledge of English history is less than sketchy.  So I am ever grateful for any drama which gives me a good storyline with blood thirsty action (I can take it in faction) and helps me understand historical facts in Haribo sized chunks to boot.  

Of course it doesn’t hurt that the lead actor is pretty tasty and not at all difficult to watch.



My Google Calendar.  For several years I’ve used a traditional diary alongside the calendar on my laptop.  But I’ve been struggling to find the inserts for my tiny Filofax and so decided to be mega brave and go completely diary digital.  I wasn’t terribly enthused by it to begin with.  I mean, I miss seeing my schedule written down on paper. 


But then, I tried out the different features of the diary app on my phone and discovered Schedule mode.  This is when my enjoyment factor went up several notches.  Because, in Schedule mode, the calendar picks up on key words and inserts appropriate images to match the entry.  

So… when I put in my tango lessons for example, it inserts a pair of dance shoes.  And when I key in a lunch meeting, it inserts a plate, knife and fork image.  But it doesn’t stop there.  For each new month there is a new image - a ski scene for December.  I LOVE this.  Yes, it’s the small things which give me immense pleasure.



The publication of my first children’s paperback – The Lonely Dragon.  I started then put this story aside many years ago as I was working on Six Dead Men and then my major opus, Sharp Dark Things (about to be sent to The Literary Consultancy soon).  



Buy here

Then I began working for Inkhead and spending so much time with children inspired me to finish it.  I’ve loved living in a child’s mind through this book.  Although I've already published two e-books, I can't begin to explain the thrill I got when I held the first paperback copy in my hand.  So, Louise, thank you for the suggestion.  While I doubt it will bring in millions of pounds I'm chuffed at the positive response the book has received from those who've bought and read it.



And, my time with the students of Inkhead continues to inspire me as I’m already working on the sequel.  So watch this space.


So there you have it.

My top five joyful things of 2015.

Please feel free to share your top five with me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faetaera: Through The Rabbit Hole

  Larell’s heart was full to the brim.  His audience with Aurelia had been unexpected and full of wonder.  He was not surprised she was aware of his plans to send a force through to the other side.  Aurelia always knew everything going on in her world.  At times he thought he saw the weight of it bearing down upon her.  Then he wished to take her in his arms and carry her as well as the burdens she bore.  But of course he would never do this, merely imagine it.  It made him love her all the more.  She thought he did not know how she came by her information and he planned on keeping it that way.  It was the only way he knew to express his love for her without feeling foolish.   In the crystal lined chamber he felt her load more palpably than usual.   He knew it was simply his foolish love-sickness for his Queen but he let the feeling soak through him regardless.   Aurelia's lips twitched briefly as though she was amused.   She was kind in her tolerance of his ridiculous obsess

Faetaera: A Triumvirate

  A Triumvirate Brairton’s minions slipped through a barely noticeable fissure.  The tear would close shortly.  Despite the increase in their regularity the breaches rarely stayed open very long.  To the three insidious spies, the stink of the new world was almost unbearable.  But in time the triumvirate would each become so used to it they would scarcely notice it at all.  That it poisoned them they did not know.  Brairton was not in the habit of informing his operatives of fatal consequences.  Their programming precluded any thought beyond the mission they must complete.  In this Brairton had been exact and had performed the necessary rituals himself. Each had their mission branded into their being.   They would travel together for some time but then slip off to their secret destinations one by one, never to see each other again. The threesome latched on to their individual targets and began their particular brand of individual mischief immediately. Minion one skulked off to en

Aphasia - Phase 1

It was one morning of May 2021. I woke up and I couldn’t speak. I didn’t know I had a stroke. I carried on as though I was okay. I even tried to negotiate with my guest when she was leaving. I tried to talk but only mumbles came out of my mouth. She left me with a big hug. I knew something was wrong. I tried to call my cousin, Michelle. With a few grunts, I convinced her to come round to my place. In the end she came round and she was very worried. She stayed with and we had lunch together. After she left, I called my friend in Sheffield, Bev. I tried to say what was wrong with me. I couldn’t speak. She rang my neighbour, Kathy. Kathy was out with Nelson, her fabulous dog. Bev rang her so she came round. When she came to my house I was sitting in the dark. Bev said she should call an ambulance. I took the phone from her and shook my head. Before long my neighbours Lizz and Leo came to see how I was. Kathy told Leo to ring the ambulance because I took her phone. She did not know w