Skip to main content

Author 2 Author - V




       Emma Flint

Emma Flint was born in Newcastle upon Tyne, lived in Scotland for eight years and is now an award-winning Technical Author in London. She says of her writing, "I want to poke around in the darker reaches of the human mind, and explore what people are capable of under extreme circumstances. I like to linger on physical descriptions, and exploit those tiny essential details that make a character human." 


This approach has informed and inspired her first novel, Little Deaths, a heady blend of sex, murder, bourbon, noir and a femme fatale. Set in 1960s suburban New York, it tells a true story with a modern feminist slant.

I’m on my third or fourth draft of Little Deaths depending on what you call a full draft.  Here’s hoping it will be ready to go to a publisher in early September.  The last draft needed a lot of structural changes and I had to thrash out one of the narrators.  My agent read it and said it was nearly there.  She’s given me some changes to do which will probably take about 6 weeks.   So I should be giving it to her at the end of August.

FINDING AN AGENT
What I went through isn’t typical.  I‘ve never written a query letter for example.  I did a Faber & Faber course and part of it is that at the end of it you read an extract of your novel (approx. 300 words) to a room full of people invited by Faber – editors, agents and scouts.  Before the readings Faber gives the audience your photo, contact details and a bigger extract of your book.  If someone likes you I guess they put a big tick next to your photo and email you.  Out of that I got 10 queries and my agent saying she wanted to represent me. 

There was a publisher but I rejected them because I wanted an agent.

AGENT AGONIES
So I met with about 7 or 8 agents.  I was incredibly lucky because all but one of them said they wanted to represent me.  I know, this sounds like moaning about something that’s not a problem.  But I had to pick!  This could be the most important decision of my career.  Gulp. 

A lot of it was gut instinct – how well do I get on with you, how comfortable do I feel?  Then one of my friends said, “It’s not just about how you get on with them when things are going well.  You’re going to have to be able to tell this person you’re giving up on the book or your draft’s going really badly.  You have to find someone who you can basically say no to and who will understand.” 

That made it a bit easier.  The other thing I looked at was their reputation in the industry and who they worked for. Whether they understood what I was trying to do with the book.

So in the end I went with Jo Unwin because I got on really well with her.  The thing which swung it for me was I thought she’s going to be great at selling me and my book. 

WORK/LIFE BALANCE
For 5 years I’ve been working full time and writing the book.  In that time I’ve only ever had 3 months off work apart from 2 week holidays.  Within those 5 years I’ve had major operations and 2 horrible break ups.  Now my cat’s terminally ill.   So I resigned from my permanent job and became a contractor because I thought that would make my life easier.  I thought I’d earn so much money I could take time off between contracts.  Yeah right.  But at the same time because I’m a contractor there’s less involvement with my day job so I don’t have to think about politics, worry about promotions. 

I’ve also tried to look at when I work best.  I would love to be the kind of person who likes getting up at 5am to write.  I will never be that person.  So I do things during the day to keep myself awake, like taking walks and getting lots of daylight.


Either I get the bus home from work and I write on the bus which is quite soothing.  Or I stay at work and write.  I try to do the bulk of my writing at the weekends then plan my work for the week.

Update
I am thrilled to be able to tell you that the launch of Emma's book took place in London in January 2017. Her book is making headlines and can be found in book shops everywhere. 

Congratulations Emma!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faetaera: Through The Rabbit Hole

  Larell’s heart was full to the brim.  His audience with Aurelia had been unexpected and full of wonder.  He was not surprised she was aware of his plans to send a force through to the other side.  Aurelia always knew everything going on in her world.  At times he thought he saw the weight of it bearing down upon her.  Then he wished to take her in his arms and carry her as well as the burdens she bore.  But of course he would never do this, merely imagine it.  It made him love her all the more.  She thought he did not know how she came by her information and he planned on keeping it that way.  It was the only way he knew to express his love for her without feeling foolish.   In the crystal lined chamber he felt her load more palpably than usual.   He knew it was simply his foolish love-sickness for his Queen but he let the feeling soak through him regardless.   Aurelia's lips twitched briefly as though she was amused.   She was kind in her tolerance of his ridiculous obsess

Faetaera: A Triumvirate

  A Triumvirate Brairton’s minions slipped through a barely noticeable fissure.  The tear would close shortly.  Despite the increase in their regularity the breaches rarely stayed open very long.  To the three insidious spies, the stink of the new world was almost unbearable.  But in time the triumvirate would each become so used to it they would scarcely notice it at all.  That it poisoned them they did not know.  Brairton was not in the habit of informing his operatives of fatal consequences.  Their programming precluded any thought beyond the mission they must complete.  In this Brairton had been exact and had performed the necessary rituals himself. Each had their mission branded into their being.   They would travel together for some time but then slip off to their secret destinations one by one, never to see each other again. The threesome latched on to their individual targets and began their particular brand of individual mischief immediately. Minion one skulked off to en

Aphasia - Phase 1

It was one morning of May 2021. I woke up and I couldn’t speak. I didn’t know I had a stroke. I carried on as though I was okay. I even tried to negotiate with my guest when she was leaving. I tried to talk but only mumbles came out of my mouth. She left me with a big hug. I knew something was wrong. I tried to call my cousin, Michelle. With a few grunts, I convinced her to come round to my place. In the end she came round and she was very worried. She stayed with and we had lunch together. After she left, I called my friend in Sheffield, Bev. I tried to say what was wrong with me. I couldn’t speak. She rang my neighbour, Kathy. Kathy was out with Nelson, her fabulous dog. Bev rang her so she came round. When she came to my house I was sitting in the dark. Bev said she should call an ambulance. I took the phone from her and shook my head. Before long my neighbours Lizz and Leo came to see how I was. Kathy told Leo to ring the ambulance because I took her phone. She did not know w