Skip to main content

Author 2 Author - III



     Steve Shahbazian



I've attended Caroline's classes, written one novel – Green & Pleasant Land, a set of Sci Fi short stories – Approaching Paradise and err... that's it really. As my friend once said, “Why not have a go at writing? What have you got to lose?” Seventeen years later...




NOVEL APPROACH
Green & Pleasant Land is a political dystopian novel which I started work on way back in 2001. I've had the title for longer than I can remember. It was always that. When I first started it this was the only good thing about the novel. I hope it's improved since then.

I wanted to write something in the same genre as things I like – Brave New World, 1984, A Clockwork Orange. Whereas the idea of totalitarian governments and regimented societies had been done before. I wanted to look at a weak government, a fragmented society; a world which was in some ways familiar but in others, strange - to create a sense of alienation.

THE LITERARY CONSULTANCY
Last year I sent the novel off to The Literary Consultancy. They were absolutely brilliant if you don't mind harsh criticism, which I don't. They were very to the point. I think it crystallised many of the things I'd already thought and known about it. But also raised a number of other things I hadn't really considered and gave me about half a dozen major pointers to work on. It put things into sharp focus. I realised how much I needed to do. It's taken me a good six months to rework it. I spent about two months simply drawing up an action plan on the basis of this report, of how it needed to be changed.

A couple of the main things they pointed out were
  1. the novel was too long
  2. the tension was lacking in places
One of the problems I have as a writer is I tend to focus on ideas rather than the thing we all engage with as readers - the characters, what's happening in their lives. I still want to write a book about ideas but also sharpen up the drama between the characters and what they're about, how they affect each other's lives.

There was too much rambling. The report contained the word verbeage – verbal garbage. It's the word you never ever want to hear as a writer. When I read that I thought yeah I really have written a load of toot. I always try to be honest with myself as a writer. You're never going to get things right the first time but I think that particular draft was a finished draft at the time. Having it finished was great but then the doubts started to grow.

After I got it back I thought, “Okay, I'm nowhere near finished.” It forced me to think about what I was doing, focus on everything rather than have lots of random ideas going on. I knew I needed to make the story feel richer.

THE EDIT
I got back from Australia just after Christmas to find the colleague who was away on secondment came back earlier than expected. The job I thought I had wasn't there any more.  So I've been working on the novel pretty much 8 hours a day. It's mentally quite draining because I came up with something that was just way too complicated. Changing it meant a number of other ideas had to shift. I found that very difficult.

Editing has been made harder because I don't have anywhere to write at the moment. I roll out of bed straight into a coffee shop to do a couple of hours. This builds up the momentum. Then midday straight into the pub because I've got nowhere else to write. Usually by the evening when I'm sitting on my bed typing, I find it's all editing and I have to leave that or I'll be deleting only to put it back in the next day. It's not been the perfect writing set up but the hours have gone in.


Steve has since sent his novel back to The Literary Consultancy and is also entering his short stories in competitions.  I've got my fingers crossed for you Steve.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faetaera: Through The Rabbit Hole

  Larell’s heart was full to the brim.  His audience with Aurelia had been unexpected and full of wonder.  He was not surprised she was aware of his plans to send a force through to the other side.  Aurelia always knew everything going on in her world.  At times he thought he saw the weight of it bearing down upon her.  Then he wished to take her in his arms and carry her as well as the burdens she bore.  But of course he would never do this, merely imagine it.  It made him love her all the more.  She thought he did not know how she came by her information and he planned on keeping it that way.  It was the only way he knew to express his love for her without feeling foolish.   In the crystal lined chamber he felt her load more palpably than usual.   He knew it was simply his foolish love-sickness for his Queen but he let the feeling soak through him regardless.   Aurelia's lips twitched briefly as though she was amused.   She was kind in her tolerance of his ridiculous obsess

Aphasia - Phase 1

It was one morning of May 2021. I woke up and I couldn’t speak. I didn’t know I had a stroke. I carried on as though I was okay. I even tried to negotiate with my guest when she was leaving. I tried to talk but only mumbles came out of my mouth. She left me with a big hug. I knew something was wrong. I tried to call my cousin, Michelle. With a few grunts, I convinced her to come round to my place. In the end she came round and she was very worried. She stayed with and we had lunch together. After she left, I called my friend in Sheffield, Bev. I tried to say what was wrong with me. I couldn’t speak. She rang my neighbour, Kathy. Kathy was out with Nelson, her fabulous dog. Bev rang her so she came round. When she came to my house I was sitting in the dark. Bev said she should call an ambulance. I took the phone from her and shook my head. Before long my neighbours Lizz and Leo came to see how I was. Kathy told Leo to ring the ambulance because I took her phone. She did not know w

Faetaera: A Triumvirate

  A Triumvirate Brairton’s minions slipped through a barely noticeable fissure.  The tear would close shortly.  Despite the increase in their regularity the breaches rarely stayed open very long.  To the three insidious spies, the stink of the new world was almost unbearable.  But in time the triumvirate would each become so used to it they would scarcely notice it at all.  That it poisoned them they did not know.  Brairton was not in the habit of informing his operatives of fatal consequences.  Their programming precluded any thought beyond the mission they must complete.  In this Brairton had been exact and had performed the necessary rituals himself. Each had their mission branded into their being.   They would travel together for some time but then slip off to their secret destinations one by one, never to see each other again. The threesome latched on to their individual targets and began their particular brand of individual mischief immediately. Minion one skulked off to en