Skip to main content

Let it Stew



I'm generally a very impatient person so writing has been a steep learning curve for me since it demands a great deal of reworking and reflection. I'm amazed I've stuck at it this long considering how dubious the benefits are.

But no matter how much I try to walk away from writing, it just won't let me.

So now I've come to accept my delicious curse and am simply getting on with the business of writing.

Over the years I've learnt that my impatience with regards to my writing only leads to frustration. This is particularly so when I'm wrestling with a particular character or scene which will not write itself to my satisfaction. Discussing the problem with a writing group can sometimes help me see the direction I need to be heading in. But more often than not the dilemma is something I need to work through for myself. Regardless of the amount of advice I can be given by my writing peers, essentially, choices such as voice, structure, tense and vocabulary rest with me.

When dealing with writing problems in the past I have wandered round the house, Ruskin, Dulwich and Brockwell park in my bid to get to grips with whatever it was which wasn't working. 




The wandering round the house only served to remind me of the dusting and hoovering which still needed doing.







The park walks were pleasant and diverting. While my body was exercised, my mind remained stumped by the direction the novel needed to go.




Now I know better and leave the recalcitrant work to stew in its own juices for at least a fortnight, if not longer.


It seems daft to walk away from the problem but thinking or concentrating on something else has helped me work through writing issues too many times for it to be coincidence.

And more often than not, I've woken up a few weeks later with ideas for a possible solution.

I write every morning. When I'm working on one project then I work at it till I feel there is nothing more to be done to it. At this point I put it aside and begin working on the next thing. Sometimes I alternate between projects.

When I started my blog I was concerned it would interrupt the flow of my fiction. I could not have been more wrong. I'm writing more than ever. I believe the constant switching to and fro keeps my mind alive to new ideas.

To date I've:

  • dusted off a young adult novel I wrote several years ago and am now considering publishing it through Autharium next year once someone helps me with the cover
  • completed the 1st draft of a new novel in a month
  • completed the 2nd draft of the new novel and am now working on the 3rd
  • completed a children's novel I've been toying with for 3 or 4 years now

So to all you writers out there, I can highly recommend blogging and leaving your work to stew.

After all, a wonderfully brewed cuppa goes down exceedingly well. Especially if there are biscuits or a slice of cake too.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guest Post: Creative Recharge

Lindsay Bamfield started writing fiction about 10 years ago. She has written a number of short stories and flash fiction pieces and has been published in Greenacre Writers Anthology , Voices from the Web 2012, The Best of Café Lit 2012, Mslexia, Writers’ News and Writing Magazine.  She has won prizes in Writers’ News , Writing Magazine and Words with Jam competitions and has been shortlisted in others. She is currently re-working her first novel with advice from an editor and has a second novel on the back-burner.  How do I recharge my writing batteries? I’m not sure I’m the right person to answer this as my batteries are still somewhat depleted after illness and debilitating treatment, but my writing activity, although still less than ideal has bounced back to some extent. It was only after being ill that I understood just how much energy writing requires. Exhaustion does not engender creativity. After a frustrating dry-spell when I wanted to writ...

Why I love living in Herne Hill

While chatting about current reads with my friend Bev, she mentioned how much she enjoyed reading Bill Bryson’s The Road to Little Dribbling .   And how too it had made her think about the reasons she loves living in the UK.   So, considering it a blog worthy idea, I asked her to write a guest post (to feature later this month). Now however, it’s my turn. My residency in the UK was totally unplanned.  Back in 1987 my parents and I were all set to move to Canada where two aunts and an uncle live.  But the Canadians decided not to grant us entry so hey presto, lucky old Britain got us instead. After our arrival we lived in a variety of areas: Edgware, Arsenal, Fulham and finally Herne Hill.  But it is most definitely Herne Hill where I find I want to stay.  When I’m on my travels it’s the place I get homesick for if things are not going according to plan on my journey. And why exactly is that? ONE I have 4, yes 4 parks in my...

#Amreading

So, it’s six months into this crazy Goodreads 100 book challenge I set myself and I’m happy to report that I'm now two books ahead.  This is largely due to the fact I’ve also been reading children’s books at breakfast.  Without this saving grace I believe I’d be whimpering in shame at this point.  “But is this reading of children’s books thing allowed?” I hear you all asking. The simple answer to that is: YES As I work with children, primarily instructing them on how to improve their creative writing, it is only fitting that I check out the books deemed to be totally read WORTHY by the kids and also by those who reckon they’re in the know. It will come as no great shock to you that I have disagreed with the Know-It-Alls from time to time but NEVER with the kids. However, this post is not about that.  What I would like to do now is give you a run down of the 5 books I’ve found most enjoyable thus far.  You would assume there’d be at ...