Skip to main content

Sharp Dark Things VI – Prince Elumin



Sarah has confessed to me that she finds this character particularly alluring. 

Personally I think he's pretty damn sexy and she's certainly drawn him that way. But that's just me.

Imagine fancying your own character. I'm utterly shameless.



Elumin is Commander in Chief of Faetaera's Elnight Force and Aurelia's husband. He came into Aurelia's life shortly after her father died and was instrumental in securing a victory for the ruling house
.
He loves Aurelia deeply but is threatened by Larell's quiet dedication to her. He shows this in subtle ways.

"While the Senex assembled, Elumin sat with his arms languidly draped along the engraved armrests of his throne. Now his left arm moved minutely as he trailed a slim forefinger along the length of the throne arm. The design carved into the dragon ivory no longer resembled the other armrest. Eyes pinned on Larell, he spoke.
“Larell, your initial investigation suggests beings are sprouting which seem at first glance to be a part of our world but on closer inspection are not.”
Larell's eyes flicked to the altered tracery on the throne. “Yes Sire. As it says in my report.”
Elumin jabbed at the armrest with a long forefinger. A dent appeared, marring the new carving. “Summarise it for us.”
Shifting his position, Larell drew in a steadying breath. “Outwardly they seem like us, but their vibrations do not resonate in the same way. They have what can only be described as episodes of fragmentation. Their behaviour is more reminiscent of the world we do not like to name.”
Larell's eyes drifted back to the arm of Elumin's throne. The little hollow had been replaced by a leaf design.
Always the use of these subtle methods to assert his power and authority over me. Does he not weary of them
© Rae Stoltenkamp

While Elumin loves Aurelia he does not fully understand her. He believes he knows who she is.

"You do know Lac Taal is completely infatuated with you?” Elumin looked over at Aurelia as they walked towards their private gardens.
“Of course I do. It makes him work harder to please me. Why do you think I addressed him directly?”
Elumin trailed his finger along Aurelia’s arm before linking his fingers with hers. “It was your cruelty which first attracted me to you, you know.”
As Aurelia tilted her head and looked up at him she was careful not to change the expression on her face. Her heart ached because he thought her cruel.
© Rae Stoltenkamp

But ultimately, he would lay down his life to secure Aurelia's future as Queen. And when the situation in Faetaera demands action, he readily takes responsibility for his role as co-ruler.

His character goes through a transition during the course of the novel as he realises that his jealousy of Larell is completely unnecessary. He also faces up to the fact that he has been complacent in both his leadership role and the support which Aurelia needs from him.




With grateful thanks to Sarah Pennock for all the drawings in this and subsequent blogs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faetaera: Through The Rabbit Hole

  Larell’s heart was full to the brim.  His audience with Aurelia had been unexpected and full of wonder.  He was not surprised she was aware of his plans to send a force through to the other side.  Aurelia always knew everything going on in her world.  At times he thought he saw the weight of it bearing down upon her.  Then he wished to take her in his arms and carry her as well as the burdens she bore.  But of course he would never do this, merely imagine it.  It made him love her all the more.  She thought he did not know how she came by her information and he planned on keeping it that way.  It was the only way he knew to express his love for her without feeling foolish.   In the crystal lined chamber he felt her load more palpably than usual.   He knew it was simply his foolish love-sickness for his Queen but he let the feeling soak through him regardless.   Aurelia's lips twitched briefly as though she was amused.   She was kind in her tolerance of his ridiculous obsess

Faetaera: A Triumvirate

  A Triumvirate Brairton’s minions slipped through a barely noticeable fissure.  The tear would close shortly.  Despite the increase in their regularity the breaches rarely stayed open very long.  To the three insidious spies, the stink of the new world was almost unbearable.  But in time the triumvirate would each become so used to it they would scarcely notice it at all.  That it poisoned them they did not know.  Brairton was not in the habit of informing his operatives of fatal consequences.  Their programming precluded any thought beyond the mission they must complete.  In this Brairton had been exact and had performed the necessary rituals himself. Each had their mission branded into their being.   They would travel together for some time but then slip off to their secret destinations one by one, never to see each other again. The threesome latched on to their individual targets and began their particular brand of individual mischief immediately. Minion one skulked off to en

Aphasia - Phase 1

It was one morning of May 2021. I woke up and I couldn’t speak. I didn’t know I had a stroke. I carried on as though I was okay. I even tried to negotiate with my guest when she was leaving. I tried to talk but only mumbles came out of my mouth. She left me with a big hug. I knew something was wrong. I tried to call my cousin, Michelle. With a few grunts, I convinced her to come round to my place. In the end she came round and she was very worried. She stayed with and we had lunch together. After she left, I called my friend in Sheffield, Bev. I tried to say what was wrong with me. I couldn’t speak. She rang my neighbour, Kathy. Kathy was out with Nelson, her fabulous dog. Bev rang her so she came round. When she came to my house I was sitting in the dark. Bev said she should call an ambulance. I took the phone from her and shook my head. Before long my neighbours Lizz and Leo came to see how I was. Kathy told Leo to ring the ambulance because I took her phone. She did not know w