Skip to main content

Carnegie Occupation



So, Lambeth Council have gone ahead with their plan to shut Carnegie library so they can turn it into a gym.  But they weren’t counting on members of the community fighting back in a style of protest Mahatma Gandhi would be proud of.  Approximately 30 people, including two babies and several teenagers are occupying the library as of this moment.  They have been doing so since Thursday evening with the support of the community.



Several Labour councillors have hit back with very personal and cavalier comments about the occupiers.  The most inappropriate of these being the cat tweets by the councillor Alex Bigham.  You can see his full twitter response on Brixton Buzz.




Another complained that the occupiers were quaffing wine during their occupation and had scant feeling for homeless children.  As someone who has personally  housed a homeless person through a project with Centrepoint and donated one of those bottles of wine, I am deeply offended that he would think we are so callous as to ignore the needs of the most vulnerable in society.

The very nature of community is about a feeling of concern and involvement for all.  I’d say the Carnegie occupiers definitely fit this definition.

These disapproving councillors seem oblivious to the fact this occupation is not just about saving a library.   The very people libraries service are the vulnerable.  As a volunteer at Ruskin Readers and a regular user of my library I see who visits it:

Teenagers studying for exams
The elderly learning how to use computers and the internet
Adults with literacy and learning difficulties
Children and young mums
The homeless
Jobseekers

So please tell me, critical councillors, how shutting a perfectly good library which supports its community is serving that community?

A great many Lambeth Labour councillors remain silent on the library issue.  I would like to remind them of the Edmund Burke quote




The only other response from Labour councillors are formulaic replies to emails rather than engaging with the people who voted for them.  So Lambeth Labour’s shambolic handling of this situation and no doubt many others has led to a community saying it has had enough.

Tomorrow Ruskin Readers is meant to have a class at Carnegie Library.  At 6:30pm we will be meeting on the steps of the library to find out if Lambeth will let the group in for their regular Monday session.  As yet, Lambeth council has not provided us with a viable alternative venue which meets the needs of our members.


Onward to day 5 and beyond l say.  And I, for one, will be providing any sustenance I can for the occupiers.


Comments

  1. So good to hear about the community coming together this way to fight for their library. This happened near me in Friern Barnet Library which was closed by the council four years ago. It is now a community library, which is good, but not as good as a proper council-funded library. However, it was people power that saved it from complete oblivion, so I wish yours well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this great comment Lindsay. I will let the occupiers know about your well wishes. And yes, the community has been fantastic. There were people there till around 3am this morning lending support and passing blankets etc through the bars. You can also show support on Twitter by using #carnegieoccupation

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. It's much appreciated as is the time you take to write a comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Faetaera: Through The Rabbit Hole

  Larell’s heart was full to the brim.  His audience with Aurelia had been unexpected and full of wonder.  He was not surprised she was aware of his plans to send a force through to the other side.  Aurelia always knew everything going on in her world.  At times he thought he saw the weight of it bearing down upon her.  Then he wished to take her in his arms and carry her as well as the burdens she bore.  But of course he would never do this, merely imagine it.  It made him love her all the more.  She thought he did not know how she came by her information and he planned on keeping it that way.  It was the only way he knew to express his love for her without feeling foolish.   In the crystal lined chamber he felt her load more palpably than usual.   He knew it was simply his foolish love-sickness for his Queen but he let the feeling soak through him regardless.   Aurelia's lips twitched briefly as though she was amused.   She was kind in her tolerance of his ridiculous obsess

Faetaera: A Triumvirate

  A Triumvirate Brairton’s minions slipped through a barely noticeable fissure.  The tear would close shortly.  Despite the increase in their regularity the breaches rarely stayed open very long.  To the three insidious spies, the stink of the new world was almost unbearable.  But in time the triumvirate would each become so used to it they would scarcely notice it at all.  That it poisoned them they did not know.  Brairton was not in the habit of informing his operatives of fatal consequences.  Their programming precluded any thought beyond the mission they must complete.  In this Brairton had been exact and had performed the necessary rituals himself. Each had their mission branded into their being.   They would travel together for some time but then slip off to their secret destinations one by one, never to see each other again. The threesome latched on to their individual targets and began their particular brand of individual mischief immediately. Minion one skulked off to en

Aphasia - Phase 1

It was one morning of May 2021. I woke up and I couldn’t speak. I didn’t know I had a stroke. I carried on as though I was okay. I even tried to negotiate with my guest when she was leaving. I tried to talk but only mumbles came out of my mouth. She left me with a big hug. I knew something was wrong. I tried to call my cousin, Michelle. With a few grunts, I convinced her to come round to my place. In the end she came round and she was very worried. She stayed with and we had lunch together. After she left, I called my friend in Sheffield, Bev. I tried to say what was wrong with me. I couldn’t speak. She rang my neighbour, Kathy. Kathy was out with Nelson, her fabulous dog. Bev rang her so she came round. When she came to my house I was sitting in the dark. Bev said she should call an ambulance. I took the phone from her and shook my head. Before long my neighbours Lizz and Leo came to see how I was. Kathy told Leo to ring the ambulance because I took her phone. She did not know w