Skip to main content

Character: The Antagonists




Now it's back to writing about my writing process and it's time to focus on the antagonists I write.

It seems I don’t mind having male and female antagonists even though I’ve plumped so heavily for females in the protagonist camp.

Robert Deed (Six Dead Men)
Terence Ire (Six Dead Men)
Zaq (Where Rainbows Hide)
Irina Bushka (Where Rainbows Hide)
The Authorities (When Rainbows Cry)
Kastaspella aka Jocasta Incantata (Of Dragons & Witches series)
Grief/Brairton (Sharp Dark Things)



Robert Deed’s name in this list may well surprise you.  Let me explain.  To begin with, his main aim is to prove Madison Bricot guilty of her boyfriend’s murder.  The twists and turns of the plot however mean he ends up sharing protagonist status with Madison.  He ultimately has too sound a nature to be the villain and his role shifts to that of the main romantic interest.  But then, that was my aim all along, to trick the reader into thinking he was the enemy.


It is in fact Terence Ire who is the true villain of Six Dead Men.  He and Robert are two sides of the same coin.  I wanted a character that shared many of Robert’s traits but had a rough time in life and chose to use that as an excuse for his future actions.  He is a character most definitely born out of all the villains I’ve encountered in the crime dramas I watch on telly.  The list is endless.  I won’t go into it here.  It is a little worrying that I did not find Terence hard to write.




In my Rainbow series of science fiction novels, Zaq is a short lived antagonist but is crucial to plot development.  I liked the idea of having a completely obnoxious and unlikeable child genius character who Neera and her friend Chi have to tussle with on their journey.  So out popped Zaq.  He was fun to write and I could be as outrageous with him as I liked.



But he had to die because waiting in the wings was Irina Bushka.  With this character I wanted someone whose outer beauty belied the ugliness inside.  She has no terrible backstory to justify her actions.  Much like the Stazi or Mafia or Nazis, she does what she does and enjoys it far too much.  As with Terence Ire, I found writing Irina very easy.  There may well be a cruel streak lurking at the centre of my being which emerges whenever I get to write these characters.



In the second book of my Rainbow Series I opt to have the government as the antagonist.  This is most certainly born out of the fact that currently, governments around the world are making decisions I find difficult to fathom.  It’s my way of crying out at the injustice heaped upon the average person on a daily basis.  Through the book I can win out against the authorities and show there is always an alternative solution if only they’d give it a try.

Okay, rant over.



Now on to my dastardly witch Kastaspella.  Unlike Irina Bushka, Kastaspella most definitely has a backstory which is behind the way she behaves as she does.  She is the embodiment of all the young people I meet who are damaged by the circumstances they encounter on a daily basis.  Some of them find a way out of the madness and invent new lives for themselves.  Others do not.  Thankfully Kastaspella’s character has a way out and friends she is yet to make to help her along the way.




My final antagonist is grief.  The reason for this is most definitely the death of my parents and dealing with the emotions and fallout of it.  I began writing the book shortly after my mother died.  It is no accident Sharp Dark Things has a lot of fantasy content.  



Whenever I’m feeling particularly low, I turn to this genre for solace.  It takes me away from painful thoughts and the decision making process which becomes a person’s life when a much relied on love one dies.

In the fantasy (Faetaera) sections of the novel, grief takes on physical form in the shape of another extremely cruel and vicious creature – Brairton.  He is a cat-fairy hybrid.  I chose this shape for him because cats have an intrinsic cruelty.  We see it in the way they play with animals they’ve caught before they finally eat them.


All these characters share the desire to come between the protagonists and their ultimate goals.  They are there because without them the protagonists would not have the possibility of overcoming adversity.  When I write antagonists, my protagonists are sitting on my shoulder, whispering.  And whenever they shout an objection to my creation I know I’m on the right track because my antagonists are there to push the protagonists’ buttons and force them on to newer and better things.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faetaera: Through The Rabbit Hole

  Larell’s heart was full to the brim.  His audience with Aurelia had been unexpected and full of wonder.  He was not surprised she was aware of his plans to send a force through to the other side.  Aurelia always knew everything going on in her world.  At times he thought he saw the weight of it bearing down upon her.  Then he wished to take her in his arms and carry her as well as the burdens she bore.  But of course he would never do this, merely imagine it.  It made him love her all the more.  She thought he did not know how she came by her information and he planned on keeping it that way.  It was the only way he knew to express his love for her without feeling foolish.   In the crystal lined chamber he felt her load more palpably than usual.   He knew it was simply his foolish love-sickness for his Queen but he let the feeling soak through him regardless.   Aurelia's lips twitched briefly as though she was amused.   She was kind in her tolerance of his ridiculous obsess

Faetaera: A Triumvirate

  A Triumvirate Brairton’s minions slipped through a barely noticeable fissure.  The tear would close shortly.  Despite the increase in their regularity the breaches rarely stayed open very long.  To the three insidious spies, the stink of the new world was almost unbearable.  But in time the triumvirate would each become so used to it they would scarcely notice it at all.  That it poisoned them they did not know.  Brairton was not in the habit of informing his operatives of fatal consequences.  Their programming precluded any thought beyond the mission they must complete.  In this Brairton had been exact and had performed the necessary rituals himself. Each had their mission branded into their being.   They would travel together for some time but then slip off to their secret destinations one by one, never to see each other again. The threesome latched on to their individual targets and began their particular brand of individual mischief immediately. Minion one skulked off to en

Aphasia - Phase 1

It was one morning of May 2021. I woke up and I couldn’t speak. I didn’t know I had a stroke. I carried on as though I was okay. I even tried to negotiate with my guest when she was leaving. I tried to talk but only mumbles came out of my mouth. She left me with a big hug. I knew something was wrong. I tried to call my cousin, Michelle. With a few grunts, I convinced her to come round to my place. In the end she came round and she was very worried. She stayed with and we had lunch together. After she left, I called my friend in Sheffield, Bev. I tried to say what was wrong with me. I couldn’t speak. She rang my neighbour, Kathy. Kathy was out with Nelson, her fabulous dog. Bev rang her so she came round. When she came to my house I was sitting in the dark. Bev said she should call an ambulance. I took the phone from her and shook my head. Before long my neighbours Lizz and Leo came to see how I was. Kathy told Leo to ring the ambulance because I took her phone. She did not know w