Skip to main content

Exhibition Impressions


So Lambeth Council have presented an ‘exhibition’ of their plans for the future of Carnegie Library in the church hall of St Saviour’s on Herne Hill Road.  The word exhibition has been misused in my opinion.  The council have provided the community with poster boards which contain little more information than the leaflets of spin regularly pushed through my door.  So no change there.  I cannot even bring myself to provide a photograph of their display as it is so pathetic in my view.  But if you really want to see it you can take a look at the great pictures on Brixton Buzz.


Evidence my response card actually exists
To say I am angry about this is an understatement.  After all, it’s what I’ve come to expect from this borough’s handling of the whole abominable situation.  I’m now so distrustful of Lambeth and how they deal with the community that I even resorted to photographing my response card so that I have a record that it actually exists.


To compound my anger even further, earlier I read a Brixton Blog post by a young mum which encapsulates one of the problems I anticipated happening to the most vulnerable and isolated members of our borough.  For this young mother, Carnegie library was a lifeline.  And while Lambeth claims there are other libraries available to Carnegie users, it is plain to see that it is not working out as Lambeth envisaged.  They are merely alienating their voters and adding pressure to lives which are already heavy with the burdens of modern living.  





In response to Lambeth’s utter foolishness, the community are rallying round and have created a Pop Up Carnegie Library, hosting a variety of fantastic events during the two days of the ‘exhibition’.  This is being held in Ruskin Park.  If you’re in the area why no pop into the park to check it out.  Take the opportunity to do the user survey explaining exactly what you want from your local library and join in with the many activities on offer.




Our beloved Toot Toot Wendy has penned a poem about her feelings and has kindly consented to me posting it.  So here, in the words of Wendy are a summing up of what I personally feel about this whole mess.


Once Upon A Time

Above the hoots of cars
I stand and dream of revolution
Whilst tears of rain
Wash out the anger
And then someone hugs me
And warmth returns
To right a wrong made redundant

The gates of wrath dismantle
Those locked doors of insurrection
Baring faces young and old
Pressed against its steely bars

A saxophone sweetly soars
Alert to sounds of hope
Dispelling darkening sombre days
Unfolding odd planes of peace

Between one protest and the next
Pockets of life will intervene
From school to work to painted scenes
Reliving that which went before
To what is now an interlude

Whatever happens will be so
Whoever stays whoever goes
Somewhere sometime passers-by
Will stop and wonder what was there
In that space now unfulfilled

Only a stepping stone this verse of mine
A pause before the bigger size
Now a walkway made from weeds
Reaches up to catch the breeze
Wafting words from books to leaves
Uttering, muttering wreaths indeed

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faetaera: Through The Rabbit Hole

  Larell’s heart was full to the brim.  His audience with Aurelia had been unexpected and full of wonder.  He was not surprised she was aware of his plans to send a force through to the other side.  Aurelia always knew everything going on in her world.  At times he thought he saw the weight of it bearing down upon her.  Then he wished to take her in his arms and carry her as well as the burdens she bore.  But of course he would never do this, merely imagine it.  It made him love her all the more.  She thought he did not know how she came by her information and he planned on keeping it that way.  It was the only way he knew to express his love for her without feeling foolish.   In the crystal lined chamber he felt her load more palpably than usual.   He knew it was simply his foolish love-sickness for his Queen but he let the feeling soak through him regardless.   Aurelia's lips twitched briefly as though she was amused.   She was kind in her tolerance of his ridiculous obsess

Faetaera: A Triumvirate

  A Triumvirate Brairton’s minions slipped through a barely noticeable fissure.  The tear would close shortly.  Despite the increase in their regularity the breaches rarely stayed open very long.  To the three insidious spies, the stink of the new world was almost unbearable.  But in time the triumvirate would each become so used to it they would scarcely notice it at all.  That it poisoned them they did not know.  Brairton was not in the habit of informing his operatives of fatal consequences.  Their programming precluded any thought beyond the mission they must complete.  In this Brairton had been exact and had performed the necessary rituals himself. Each had their mission branded into their being.   They would travel together for some time but then slip off to their secret destinations one by one, never to see each other again. The threesome latched on to their individual targets and began their particular brand of individual mischief immediately. Minion one skulked off to en

Aphasia - Phase 1

It was one morning of May 2021. I woke up and I couldn’t speak. I didn’t know I had a stroke. I carried on as though I was okay. I even tried to negotiate with my guest when she was leaving. I tried to talk but only mumbles came out of my mouth. She left me with a big hug. I knew something was wrong. I tried to call my cousin, Michelle. With a few grunts, I convinced her to come round to my place. In the end she came round and she was very worried. She stayed with and we had lunch together. After she left, I called my friend in Sheffield, Bev. I tried to say what was wrong with me. I couldn’t speak. She rang my neighbour, Kathy. Kathy was out with Nelson, her fabulous dog. Bev rang her so she came round. When she came to my house I was sitting in the dark. Bev said she should call an ambulance. I took the phone from her and shook my head. Before long my neighbours Lizz and Leo came to see how I was. Kathy told Leo to ring the ambulance because I took her phone. She did not know w