Friday, 17 March 2017

#Review: The Light Fantastic


The Light Fantastic by Terry Pratchett




The Light Fantastic is just that – light. The reading journey is an easy one with plenty of laughs along the way.  We are back with our unlikely hero Rincewind and his task of keeping the tourist Twoflower alive. As in the first book (The Colour of Magic), Twoflower makes this job an arduous one for Rincewind as he regularly finds himself in DEATH’s company. Rincewind, though shy of DEATH, often passes closer to HIM than he would like.

The Luggage, another favourite of mine, continues to feature heavily and gives excellent value for money. But now other characters enter the story to delight and entertain in a manner so very appropriate to Pratchett. I can now add Cohen The Barbarian to my list of favourite Pratchett characters. His toothless wisdom had me rolling so much in my bus seat on one particular journey that I missed my stop.

As the ‘event’ which gives this book its title gets ever closer, Pratchett intersperses paragraphs about Great A’Tuin between the action sequences. This can be a little disconcerting at first. But it serves as a reminder to the reader that something momentous is about to happen. And it does.


As I closed the cover I was left with a sense of satisfaction combined with a great need to know what else the Discworld has to offer. So I’m very glad there are 39 more books to go. Onward.


No comments:

Post a Comment